Letters


Dear Parrots magazine,

Non-stick issues

I have been using non-stick pots and pans for many years and have two Cockatiels. Reading much about this coating has increased my concern whether or not I should throw away all my non-stick pans, as I understand that when the non-stick surface becomes overheated, which it can easily do in busy kitchens, it will kill my birds. I have always been a bit puzzled as I use a lot of non-stick pans and have never experienced any problems, although I am quite careful in my kitchen and am not aware that I have unduly overheated them.

I have read a number of accounts where people have said their birds have suddenly died and they have been using non-stick pans, but don’t make it clear that there was a connection between the birds dying and pans being overheated. It may well be that the birds would have died anyway. I think common sense is required and if you go about your kitchen duties in a responsible way, there probably won’t be any problems. However, I stand to be corrected.

Joanne Lucking, by email


BACK TO LETTERS PAGE

Parrots Magazine is published by Imax Visual Ltd,
The Old Cart House, Applesham Farm, Coombes, West Sussex BN15 0RP UK

Telephone +44 (0)1273 464777
Fax +44 (0)1273 463999
© Parrots Magazine 2016

website by Hope and Creed